Thursday, May 22, 2014

GPS location: How Safe Are We?

 Technology has advanced so much in the past couple of years its remarkable. The idea of knowing a person is doing and knowing exactly where they are use to seem fiction, but now it is a reality.


Smartphones are the most popular thing out. The thought of not being able to connect to your online persona strikes fear in the hearts of many now a days. Have we thought about how much privacy we are actually giving up though? Now every app I seem to download would first like to know if I would like push notifications, then the following question is would be alright to turn location services on. Like anyone who solely wants to get to their media I just accept. Now is weird because any picture I take or any Status I update is now free for the public to see my exact location.



Now this thought can be good or bad. Good if people are worried or I am currently on Vacation and just wanting to show off to all my friends. But the bad outweighs the good here. Say I post a picture and check in at a restaurant. Anyone can go to that page and find me. Some people actually confront some these miss-user's in prank form, acting as if they know the future. Its funny because the people are so shocked, but in reality it shows how careless we are with our social media.


Kinda scary because you don't know who has your information just from seeing you post. Seems like "Big Brother" is watching us, but why should we be mad... I mean we are the ones posting it.

Another scary thought is that most children have smartphones. Teenagers looking for friends. This is a predators dream.  Murderers can happen very easily, especially if you know the exact location of your target. 

But on the positive side if you're a parent of an untrustworthy child, you can now their every move. 

No comments:

Post a Comment